Subscribe to RSS Feed for recent updates
Subscribe to RSS Feed for recent updates







This member is a YANA Mentor This is his Country or State Flag

Dave Palmer lives in New South Wales, Australia. He was 46 when he was diagnosed in January, 2016. His initial PSA was 4.60 ng/ml, his Gleason Score was 9, and he was staged Unknown. His choice of treatment was Surgery (Robotic Laparoscopic Prostatectomy). Here is his story.

I am 46 years of age and live in Sydney Australia. I had a car accident at work about a year ago and got a whiplash injury. I had to come and go from the doctor for treatment. I don't go to a doctor regularly. But my hand was forced. He told me that whilst I was there, we might do some basic health checks and start with a blood test.

We found the PSA reading height over a period of 9 months...went from 4.0 and increased to almost five within the nine months. The neck healed from the whiplash, but it was time to go to the urologist. Without any foreplay, his digit did a bit of work. He told me that he didn't like what he felt.

Off to the hospital in a few weeks time for a biopsy. I went to Nepean Hospital I was really scared. But they put me out and next thing you know, I was awake. They said the procedure was over. A week off work, urinated a bit of blood for a few days and a little sore, but came good quickly. That procedure was on the 13th of January, 2016.

TODAY being Thursday the 28th of January, 2016, I have been back to the Urologist. He told me that the biopsy was positive for cancer. He told me that the cancer was aggressive and was graded 9 on the Gleason grading.

We have decided to have robotic surgery in about a month at Nepean Hospital. Cut the prostate out. In the mean time, I have to have two scans. A bone scan and something else.

It is a lot to take in in one day. My head is spinning. I've been crying. For me that is big. I'm a strong man, fit, very fit, healthy. I feel good right now. I lead at work. Coach sporting teams. Nobody ever sees me down. I'm terrified. What if this crap is spread. I'm satisfied my sex life is over and I might not be able to hold my urine. I just want to breath in and out and be with my son who is only 13 years of age.

I'm serious, only half a day since being told that I have a cancer that is on the aggressive side...ie 9 Gleason.

I have read many of the testimonials and I'm starting to feel better. Never the less, I'm terrified.


October 2016

Hi there, since my initial posting, I underwent robotic prostate surgery and my prostate was subsequently removed. I remember checking into the hospital, having a nice chat as I'm being booked in with the staff. Meeting the nice lady who was to put me to sleep and the nurses that would be assisting. I remember, being rolled into the operating room and seeing the "robot" which the Urologist was to stand behind and do the "job" with. I remember then getting a nice warm feeling and next thing waking up after the operation. During the surgery, there was an issue with an artery which was not anticipated. This caused issues with one of my legs and is currently being addressed.

I was really nervous about having the catheter in for between 7 and 10 days, but as it turned out, in the scheme of things. This is nothing on the "concerns" list. Remember, you are out when it goes in and it comes out really easily. Game day was to be when the next PSA result comes in.

About six weeks after surgery, I received my first PSA results. I was sweating on that result. After leaving hospital, I felt a small victory after surviving the operation and the mental presure prior to the operation. The choices of who to tell and who not to tell were the hardest. In the end, I told people only who needed to know. ie work people and a couple of family members.

Well it didn't come back the best and the reading was 0.71. Further scans confirmed cancer still present in the bed where the prostate used to sit and adjoining areas. This was during late April, 2016.

So at this time, I was transitioned from the Urologist to the Cancer Centre of the Blacktown Hospital. The doctors at this hospital were great and a brand new cancer centre had just been built. It was recommended that I completed a course of radiation. Along with the radiation, a course of Androgen Deprivation Therapy. That being two implants lasting three months each. The drug for the therapy being called Zoladex. I don't like the side effects of Zoladex in any way, but I suppose we have to take them in order to achieve the cancer free goal.

Radiation at the Blacktown Hospital lasted about 7 weeks taking in most of June and July 2016. Daily being Monday to Friday. I had the luxury of taking time off work during the whole process. The radiation becomes a job after a while with the hardest thing being walking under the sign at the Hospital "Cancer Centre". Once inside, it was down to business and the Radiation Therapists were sensational. They were slick in their approach, professional and friendly. I had all of the usual things associated with radiation, but nothing earth shattering and I continued exercise during the course of radiation.

I'm updating for the first time since my initial post because, I'm coming down to another "game day" soon. That being my next PSA reading after the Radiation. I'm so hopeing it's super low. Surgery, Radiation, ADT (zoladex), I don't know what's around the corner. In any case, I feel good and continue to have the ability to throw a ball with my son. So all good until the next update.


December 2016

Hi there, late October 2016 I went to the cancer doctor at the Blacktown Hospital and had the most nervous walk to the gallows. This was to find out my PSA level was to be after ripping the prostate out, Zoladex (ADT) and finally getting zapped with the radiation for a couple of months.

This to me was going to be a benchmark on how the whole of the process went. Spoke with the Doctor who was armed with the results of the PSA. I was so tense and just walked in and my opening line after, "hello", was, "what is my PSA". She announced, less than 0.1, which she confirmed was next to undetectable. Well I couldn't speak because I was so tense and had pent up emotion.

I was needless to say over the moon. It was explained this is a victory at some level, however, each three months would tell the unravelling story. ie was the Zoladex masking a "true" reading of PSA etc. Having said, that, I'm now enjoying my second month of not waking up in the morning and having my first thought being prostate cancer and going to sleep having my last thought being prostate cancer.

Middle January 2017 will be my next test and that will be very telling apparently. This Christmas is going to be one thousand times better than last Christmas.

I have had some great people from this site offering support. It makes you feel good when there are "like" people in your corner.

Dave's e-mail address is: pally1070 AT yahoo.com.au (replace "AT" with "@")