Walnut

Subscribe to RSS Feed for recent updates
Subscribe to RSS Feed for recent updates

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

 

SURVIVOR STORIES  :  DISCUSSION FORUM  :  WIVES & PARTNERS  :  TELL YOUR STORY  :  UPDATE YOUR STORY  :  DONATIONS  :  TROOP-C

YANA HOME PAGE  :  DON'T PANIC  :  GOOD NEWS!  :  DIAGNOSIS  :  SURVIVING  :  TREATMENT CHOICES  :  RESOURCES  :  ABOUT US  :  MAIL US

 

 BRONZE 
This member is a YANA Mentor This is his Country or State Flag

Richard K lives in Arizona, USA. He was 69 when he was diagnosed in January, 2014. His initial PSA was 10.50 ng/ml, his Gleason Score was 8, and he was staged T1a. His choice of treatment was Surgery (Robotic Laparoscopic Prostatectomy). Here is his story.

Following diagnosis in 01/14 with G8 I opted for RALP; scans had indicated containment in the gland but the high risk G8 directed me to surgery. Post Op (Mar2014) surgeon advised positive margins and ECE into LT nerve bundle. Gleason was upgraded to 9 (4+5). Path was T3aNOMX. Follow up PSA in May was 1.5ng/ml. Consult with Radiation and Medical Oncologists was preceded by a second PSA which had dropped to 0.22ng/ml. Both still advised (1) immediate initiation of hormone therapy and (2) IMRT 6 months following surgery. After consideration, I decided to follow their advice. Had a third post op PSA prior to my first Lupron shot. PSA had dropped to <0.1ng/ml? Commenced IMRT to prostate bed in Sep2014; 35 sessions at 70 GY. Hormone therapy continued for 9 months (MO Recommendation). All subsequent PSA's on ultrasensitive scale undetectable until Jan2016 when PSA fluctuated between detectable and not detectable. In 11/2016 PSA was 0.062 and I have had 4 successive increases with the last (07/2017) at 0.254. Recent bone scan negative for mets.

Health is excellent. Exercise 6/wk, have adopted a mostly vegan diet and have made attempts to maintain positive attitude with meditation. Currently seem to be in a no-mans land of not meeting the AUA definition of a biochemical occurence but headed in that direction. Standard of Care path assuming BCR would be resumption of ADT which I am not looking forward to. I am looking into combining aberaterone with a GnRH if medicare will cover the cost.

Richard's e-mail address is: lrklingbeil AT gmail.com (replace "AT" with "@")


RETURN TO INDEX : RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS